Monday, August 8, 2011

Andrew's quilt:

Finally. It's done. This project turned out to be a test of my patience. And since it was so ridiculous, let's celebrate its completion by taking a trip down memory lane to look back on its different phases.

It went from this:

To this:

To this:

It is truly an accomplishment that this quilt ever got made. Its making was a huge feat considering that everything that could possibly go wrong, actually did. My sewing machine broke in the middle of it. I had to finish it on my mom's ancient Singer, the machine I learned on at the age of 4. The blocks didn't adhere to the stabilizer and stretched, causing everything to bunch together. I had to rip out the entire thing and meticulously re-sew it with the assistance of my mother. The front turned out larger than I had planned for and I didn't have enough of the fabric I had picked out for the backing. And when I went to get some more, they had stopped carrying it. So I had to go in search of 6 additional yards of a different fabric. I had to re-applique many of the squares because before my machine messed up, it was sewing really weird and some of the seams started coming apart by the time I started to assemble the final product. It was a real mess. But I think it turned out well. It's really nice, has a great weight, and is huge, which makes it perfect for sharing. And curling up in for long naps. Plus, check out this face:

Totally worth it.

No comments: