Wednesday, August 29, 2012

New Reads:


It's no secret that I love Jane Austen. And from time to time, I like to revisit her work. To reemerge myself in the worlds that she creates. I love all her characters. I love Emma. I have always loved Emma. This affection isn't quite on the same level as say, Elizabeth Bennett or Jane Eyre, but we were instant friends when we met back in middle school. And for Christmas last year, I received a beautiful embroidered edition (thanks, S!) of  Emma which has been sitting in my reading queue for months. Last weekend, I took it down off the bookshelf and got to it. It's a great story. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. And for those of you that attempted it but could never quite get involved enough to actually see the story through to completion, I encourage you to give it another try. Emma is a delightful woman. And Mr. Knightley is super dreamy. You should spend some time getting to know them as I do.

For those of you wondering what it's about:

"Beautiful, clever, rich—and single—Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr. Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protegee Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected. With its imperfect but charming heroine and its witty and subtle exploration of relationships, Emma is often seen as Jane Austen's most flawless work."

And for inquiring minds, check on the  progress of this year's reading list after the jump.





  1. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
  2. Everything I Ever Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume
  3. The Sweet Far Thing
  4. Interview with a Vampire
  5. The Tales of Beetle the Bard
  6. Spud
  7. The Secret History
  8. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
  9. A Discovery of Witches
  10. Death Comes to Pemberley
  11. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
  12. A Week at the Beach
  13. Little Bee
  14. Anthropology of an American Girl
  15. Naked
  16. Just as Long as We're Together
  17. Here's to You, Rachel Robinson
  18. The Hunger Games
  19. Catching Fire
  20. Mockingjay
  21. The Alchemist (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)
  22. All He Ever Wanted
  23. Back When We Were Grownups
  24. Moon Over Manifest
  25. Shadow of Night
  26. Divergent
  27. Insurgent
  28. The Pleasure of My Company

No comments: