Wednesday, August 7, 2013

New reads:


This week I'm reading Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz. I've had this book for a while now with every intention of reading it, but other books kept grabbing my attention. This was recently made into a movie (with Tina Fey!) and I desperately want to see it (because of Tina Fey!) but I made a deal with myself that I had to read the book first. So, here we are.

I'm only about 100 pages in but so far, I really like it. It's already one of those stories that has me really intrigued. I find myself thinking about it when I'm not reading (driving to work, trying to fall asleep) and wishing I could disappear in its pages for a while. When I look at where my bookmark currently rests, I get sort of giddy that I have so much story (about 350 pages) left. I can't wait to see how the story unfolds.

In case you were wondering, here's the basic plot:

"For years, thirty-eight-year-old Portia Nathan has hidden behind her busy -- and sometimes punishing -- career as a Princeton University admissions officer and her less than passionate relationship. Then suddenly, the piece of her past that she has tried so hard to bury resurfaces, catapulting her on an extraordinary journey of the heart that challenges everything she ever thought she believed. Soon, just as Portia must decide on the fates of thousands of bright students regarding their admission to Princeton, so too must she confront the life-altering decision she made long ago."

I like the writing. I like the characters. It's interesting. Have you read it? Maybe you saw the movie. What did you think? Good? Bad? Don't give anything away, though. I don't want to spoil it.

No comments: