Saturday, June 18, 2011

New Reads:

I just finished the book Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal:

From the inside cover:

"How do you conjure a life? Give the truest account of what you saw, learned, loved, strived for?
For Amy Krouse Rosenthal, the surprising answer came in the form of an encyclopedia. In Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life she has ingeniously adapted this centuries-old format for conveying knowledge into a poignant, wise, often funny, fully realized memoir. Using mostly short entries organized from A to Z, many of which are cross-referenced, Rosenthal captures in wonderful and episodic detail the moments, observations, and emotions that comprise a contemporary life. Start anywhere -- preferably at the beginning -- and see how one young woman's alphabetized existence can open up and define the world in new and unexpected ways.
An ordinary life, perhaps, but an extraordinary book."

I almost always find biographical stories more interesting. And I love random things. So this book is right up my alley. Hilarious, random thoughts (sometimes very random) alphabetized just like an encyclopedia. It speaks to both my love of the written word and my need for obsessive order. And I think it takes courage to let others in on your private thoughts, those thoughts that usually only you ever hear. I feel like I know the author almost like I know myself. And we are best friends. 

It's funny. You should definitely read it. Also, the website is pretty entertaining. Check that out here.

No comments: