Thursday, July 26, 2012

We love:


One of my goals for the year was to update our camera. I've had my eye on the Nikon D3100 for about a year now. I sometimes fantasize about owning it, about taking pictures with it. Don't get me wrong, I love our little point and shoot Samsung because it's tiny, super portable, and takes pretty good quality pictures and video. But I've been unhappy with the picture quality in low-light settings and with the lack of personalization (Blogger is trying to tell me that this isn't a word, btw) of settings. I had been wanting the D3100 for a while now but couldn't justify purchasing it because we didn't really need it. Not really. Want, sure. But not need. So cut to three weeks before our beach trip (and right after the Steve Martin concert) when the camera is dropped lens first onto ceramic tile and breaks. The retractable lens jammed when it hit the floor and now it won't shut off or take a picture or anything. We debated getting it repaired but it cost about $200 in 2009 when we bought it and the cost of getting it fixed would probably be more than it's worth now. So, our only other option was to get a new camera. We could have gotten a newer point and shoot but we figured now was as good a time as any, and we finally made up our minds to purchase the D3100. It came in the mail just in time for our trip and we have been taking photos with it like crazy ever since. I, of course, am completely obsessed. It's simple to use, lightweight, and the picture quality is outrageous. And it takes HD video. It came with a simple kit lens which is fine for now, but eventually I want to upgrade to the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens for even better performance in low-light settings. 



We are very happy with our new camera and are insanely excited to learn more as we play around with it.
I'll try to share more photos soon!




No comments: