Thursday, November 14, 2013

New reads:


This week, I'm reading Allegiant by Veronica Roth. It's the third and last book of the Divergent trilogy. I'm only about 200 pages in, as of today, so I don't have much of an opinion on the story so far. But here's what it's about, if you're wondering:

"The faction based society that Tris Prior once believed in in shattered -- fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature -- and of herself -- while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers."

I have mixed feelings about this book. I read the other two (see here and here) and have liked them less and less with each installment. I felt like I had to read this book, if for nothing else, than for closure. I hate leaving a story unresolved. So, here I am. But I put this book off for some reason. I hesitated to pick it up for a while after it came out. The online reviews are not that great. Apparently, a lot of people share my feelings. 

I thought these books were similar to the Hunger Games novels. At first, it felt like the same story. But with this novel, I have a hard time finding similarities at all. Which isn't a bad thing because I felt just okay about the Hunger Games. And as lukewarm as I felt about the Hunger Games, I find myself preferring them to this series. This whole divergent thing is getting old to me. Maybe it will pick up and I'll feel differently by the time the story is over, but as of right now, I'm sort of bored.

Have any of you read Allegiant? Did you feel differently? Or do you share my ambivalence? 

No comments: