Monday, March 9, 2015

Books:


If you know me even a little, then you know that I am a reader. Reading is my thing and books are my first love. They are my oldest friends (see here). I am a book nerd and proud of it. So, now that my darling friends are resting in their permanent home, I finally got to organize them. 

Over the past few weeks, I have spent time in front of our new built-ins, shelving and re-shelving them in an attempt to create the perfect arrangement. I think I may have found it. 



The far left section is reserved for nonfiction. Essays, short stories, memoirs on the top two shelves, reference/parenting in the middle, science and nature on the shelf below that, and design books on the bottom.

The middle two sections are for fiction. Classics are grouped together and everything is arranged by author. 

The right section is young adult/children's books. Picture books on the bottom shelf, small chapter books and poetry above that, and books for young adults and older readers are on the top three shelves. 

So far, this system is really working out for us. It lets me find things quickly and easily. It's not an alphabetical system or anything too strict -- things can kind of float around -- and I don't have to worry about messing it up. It's nice and stress-free. 

As I fill this space up over the next few years, I plan on editing my collection and weeding things out until I'm left with a carefully-curated collection of my very favorite books. It's something that has me very excited. Weird, I know, but that's a book nerd for you.

No comments: