Monday, April 15, 2013

We love:



Ah, Romeo and Juliet. I first fell in love with this story in the sixth grade. It was one of the first times I ever experienced something that... intense. It was also my first encounter with Shakespeare. I loved it. And then I watched the 1968 version of the film and loved it even more. Oh how I wanted to be Olivia Hussey. She was so beautiful, independent, and she undermined her parents with such skill and grace. I was in awe. It was exactly what my twelve-year-old, middle school self aspired to be. How exciting.

I liked the Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio version too. I appreciated it for what it was but it couldn't hold a candle to the 1968 version. Claire Danes, try as she might, was no Olivia Hussey.

But take a look at this trailer for the newest version of the most famous love story of all time. Looks pretty good, doesn't it? Promising. And Julian Fellowes (of Downton Abbey fame) wrote the screenplay, so you know it's going to be sensationally written. And doesn't it just look beautiful? Nicely done, David Tattersall.

Can't wait to watch it.

No comments: