Monday, February 23, 2015

Storage solutions:

True story: our home office was in serious need of some storage and organization. We had a closet that was severely under-utilized but no real plan for how to use it. I had my eye out for a filing cabinet but didn't want to shell out the cash for a new one and my search for a used one kept coming up empty. 

And then last Saturday morning, I looked out the window and noticed that our neighbor had put one out on the curb. So, I made Andrew go out there in the cold to get it and haul it home. I clean it up and dragged it to the basement where I took some spray paint to it.

A few rounds of sandpapering, a few cans of spray paint, and a little love was all it took.

It's a subtle change but makes a big difference. Over two weekends, A and I took turns with baby duty to sand and spray. We chose white for the cabinet because it's clean and neutral and gold for the drawer hardware because, well, we're classy like that.



Once it was dry, we moved it into its new home in the office closet and set it up. And because I'm a super nerd, I got all excited about organizing the drawers and filling it with all our stuff. I love it -- it solves so many of our storage issues. But my favorite thing is the fact that it only cost us a few cans of spray paint and a few hours. 

Look for the post on my genius organizing job later this week. And in the meantime, if you need me, you can find me organizing my cabinet.

No comments: