Friday, March 25, 2011

Liz Taylor, a tribute:


Can we just talk about Liz Taylor for a minute? I grew up watching her in “Lassie Come Home”, “National
Velvet”, “Father of the Bride”, and my favorite, “Little Women”. And when I got older, I watched
her play roles like Maggie in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”, and I began to appreciate the unique blend of
characteristics that made her what she was. She was beautiful, loud, extravagant, incredibly strong, and
deliciously over-the-top with a laugh akin to a banshee. She was at times vulgar and strange, but she
marched to her own drum and showed women everywhere what it meant to be comfortable with who
you are.

There have been many times when I have looked at Liz Taylor, mostly during her Michael Jackson days,
and wondered what was going on in her head, but I never once had anything but respect and admiration
for her. She had real (as they say in “The Holiday”) gumption and she danced through life, enjoying
every minute of it. She was classy and I think a lot of women would be smart to take a few pages from
her book.

She did so much with her life, including her work with AIDS research and the world is a little emptier
without her in it. So join me in breaking out a little White Diamonds in tribute of Ms. Liz Taylor, a woman
who knew how to be a woman; a woman that (I like to think) I see in myself, even just a little.

No comments: