Monday, January 3, 2011

A mini office makeover

Got crafty last night (after a day of shopping with Kat and dinner with the fam). I finally got around to doing some things to transform the barren wasteland that is my office into something that is warm and personal. My first (and super easy) step was to put up something functional and pretty on the back of the hutch sitting on my desk that would brighten up the dark cherry wood and allow me to utilize that space. I looked around but couldn't find anything that met that criteria and made me happy at the same time. So I made my own.

I just picked up four cork tiles and some pretty fabric. Since the tiles were pretty thin (and I envisioned something a little more substantial) I just glued two tiles together, measured and cut the fabric, stretched it tight around the tiles, and glued it into place (and burned my thumb in the process).



I had a few Command strips lying around in a drawer that I used to hang the tiles. And I now have a monthly calendar courtesy of Katherine that looks cute and helps me stay on top of things (I decided to ditch the stand it originally sat on to free up desk space, but don't worry, I have plans to repurpose it at a later date).


This is so easy to do, literally took 10 minutes, and cost way less than any other option I considered. And it can be used anywhere -- kitchens, mudrooms, offices, laundry roofs, craft rooms, etc. -- that needs a little organization and a pop of color.

I have a lot of fabric leftover. And the more I stare at it, the more in love with it I am. I'm thinking I will incorporate it into quilt sewn on the new sewing machine I got for my birthday!

P.S. I think I'm getting sick. Again. What a way to start a new year. I have been taking Airborne and Zicam every 3 hours. And I think we're going shopping for a new humidifier this week. If my plan works, I might have found a way to successfully combat the common cold.

P.P.S. Today is my nephew's 9th birthday! Happy Birthday Tyler! I hope you get all the Mega Block Halo men you can carry.

No comments: