Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wipe out:

I've mentioned before that I have a love for cloth diapers (see here and here). Well, that love may or may not have developed into an obsession because now I've jumped on the cloth wipe train. Actually, we decided to go the cloth wipe route around the same time we decided to cloth diaper (sometime last year). Earlier this year, I bought a few yards of organic bamboo cotton and cut them up into squares to use as wipes.



Once done, I put them in a box of baby stuff and didn't get them out until we moved. We set everything up in the nursery but people so graciously gifted us disposable wipes that we didn't use them until well into M's diaper career (even after we made the transition into his cloth diapers -- that's how many wipes we had). We've been using them for a little over a month now and they went from looking nice and pretty to this: 



It looked pretty bad. Seriously, like a basket of fabric scrolls. And they were pretty much impossible to use which defeats the whole purpose. Complete fail. So I went back to the old drawing board and decided to make them double-sided. I took to the sewing machine, pinned two wipes together (fluffy side out) and went around the edges with a zig-zag stitch. The result:


A much nicer, thicker, and completely flat (!) wipe. I even ran them through the washer and dryer to make sure they wouldn't roll up. And they are deliciously soft. I'm sure little M appreciates that. And now his changing table looks so much more clean and organized. 

Overall, we're very happy with the results. I'm just glad I could come up with a quick fix to make them work and didn't have to toss them. And yes, I did just write an entire post about wipes.  

No comments: