Monday, March 18, 2013

We love:

[photo]
Okay, so I'm fast becoming a clothing snob. I didn't plan it. I don't even particularly like it. It just happened.
A few months ago, I read Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion (more on that here). I really enjoyed reading that book. And it really opened my eyes to the choices I was making when it came to clothing and how I was voting with my money.

Since then I've been a lot more careful about what I buy. I do a lot of research. I ask a lot of questions. I don't buy as much as I used to but, when I buy new, I spend more on each piece. I look at it as investing. I want certain things from my clothes and I'm willing to pay more to get them. What do I want? I want pieces made with high-quality fabrics, in low quantities, by skilled seamstresses (who are paid fair wages), made right here in America. I want to support those designers that have the same values as I do. I don't mind paying a little bit more to get these things in my clothing, but sometimes it just seems a little too high; a little ridiculous. Can't I have both good quality and decent prices? Is that too much to ask?

Not anymore. Enter Everlane. Everlane is an online clothing company that offers goods through their website; they have no physical stores. The low cost of operation allows them to pass those savings on to consumers. Their products are more cost-efficient. There is less mark-up than traditional retail stores.

They do not outsource. They do not over-produce. They make small quantities of each item using the best fabrics available at their headquarters in California. They focus on making each shirt/bag/belt the best it can possibly be by paying close attention to the small details (and if you know me, you know how important those details are).

And their clothing? Amazing. Their tees are so soft. I only have one of the v-necks but I want to live in it (I'm wearing it right now). And the best part? They don't cost an arm and a leg. Their women's tees are $15, silk blouses $80, and cashmere sweaters $120-130. Those prices are completely reasonable. Better than reasonable, really. They're really low. High-quality silk blouses usually run upwards of $200.

I love their entire collection. I want it all. The Spring scarf. The weekender bag. The essential belt. The French terry sweatshirt. The silk blouse. The cashmere crew sweater. Seriously, all of it. Even the men's stuff. I'm ordering Andrew some tees for Spring. I know he'll be as obsessed with them as I am.

I really love their stuff. And their website is really cool. I like how they break down the cost of each item so you see what you're paying for. Check it out here. And buy some stuff! You won't be sorry.

Now, Everlane, please make shoes!

No comments: