Monday, April 14, 2014

New reads:


This week I'm reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I didn't even know this book existed until the ladies in my book club suggested we read it for a short, relaxing read before summer break. And apparently, it's being made into a movie? And there are actually four novels? How did my radar completely miss this one?

I welcome the change of pace from the tomes I've been reading lately (see here and here). Have you heard of this story? Have you read it? I can't be the only one who had never heard of it.

In case you're like me and somehow missed the boat on this one, here's the brief summary:

"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers -- boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out -- and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying."

It's definitely interesting. And once you get through the first few chapters and all the story set up, it gets pretty good. I've heard a lot of people compare it to Divergent and The Hunger Games series and I'd say I have to agree. It's sort of a hybrid of the two. So, if you liked either of those, you'll probably be really into this one. I'm glad I gave this one a try, even if I didn't love it. I don't think I'll read the rest of the series though. I'm a little tired of the whole dystopian society thing, truth be told.

No comments: