Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The master:

We've spent a lot of time discussing the master bedroom situation lately. As of right now, a bed is the only thing in the entire room and while we'd like to dive right into the whole decorating process, we have been focusing on other rooms (read: nursery) up until this point. Only recently have we diverted our attention to this space where we get our rest on every night.

We've done a lot of debating about what kind of feel we want the room to have and what we envision the room looking like when it's all said and done. I tend to play it safe when it comes to colors. I don't want to do this with our room. So, I have created a palette of deep, calming colors to make the space feel warm and inviting. I really want to be able to relax in this space, especially since very soon, this will probably be the one room in the house in which we will be spending the most time. I want to be comfortable. 


Here's where we landed: I love the wall color (I think it's called black pepper by Benjamin Moore). I think it will warm the space up and play off the wood tones of our bed nicely. For a pop of color, I think painting two small chest of drawers a deep rust/pumpkin color would pair well with the wall color -- maybe do some interesting knobs on the drawers.

I like the idea of having sconces on the wall above the bed but since our bed is positioned between two windows, once the curtains are up, there might not be room. Speaking of curtains -- we have some white sheers that we might reuse but I think I'd like to explore some pattern. Nothing too wild, just a subtle, tone-on-tone pattern to bring some texture into the room. Pair those with some blackout roller shades for sleeping and privacy and we're in business (as far as window treatments go).

I love the idea of a plush rug since our hardwood floors are cold in the mornings. I like this one from West Elm because it's plush and has a pattern while still being neutral enough to not compete with the rest of the room. Plus, look how pretty. I'd like to have some kind of sitting area as well. Maybe a chair or two with a small table. And some greenery. Plants would really bring some warmth to the space as well. We get plenty of light (we have three windows) so I think they'd thrive there. 

For bedding, I'd like to do lots of layers of white and grey -- mostly solids with a few light/small patterns thrown in. And texture. Lots of texture. It would really make that bed inviting. And with a newborn, that's probably where I'll be the majority of my days.

Now that we've got an idea of what we want the space to look like, we need to get to work painting and collecting all the different elements. Easier said than done when my back is hurting so badly these days I feel like I can barely walk. Thank god for online shopping.

No comments: