Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Big Read: Moby Dick:


Andrew and I are listening to the Moby Dick Big Read. Since September 16th, they release a chapter a day, read by someone different. It's become part of our evening routine. We settle in before bed to listen to a chapter (or more, depending on how long they are) with mugs of hot tea and a sleepy puppy. I really like having different people read each chapter. It makes it more interesting to listen to. And if I don't like that person, I only have to put up with them for one chapter. It's nice. My favorite so far has been the first chapter, read by Tilda Swinton. Her timing was perfect and I think she did a fantastic job of letting Melville's witty remarks stand out from the rest of the story. Because I suspect Herman Melville of having a pretty amazing sense of humor. It's quick and if you're not paying attention, you'll miss it. But that's just how I like my humor. Really subtle.

I think it all wraps up in January so it's not too late for you to jump on board with this Big Read. Some of the chapters are so short -- you can listen to more than one a day and definitely catch up. If you've ever wanted to read Moby Dick but have been intimidated by the size or have tried it but just couldn't get through it, I encourage you to give it a listen. I think Melville's writing style is perfect for this type of medium. This way, you can stop worrying about the words on the page and just focus on the story. Just think of it as sitting around with someone (or someones) listening to them tell a story. Because it really is a good story.

To download the chapters, go to www.mobydickbigread.com or you can download as podcasts (from iTunes) and listen to them on your phone or tablet. 


P.S. Happy Halloween! We're curling up with some candy and a scary movie or two and of course, Moby Dick. I'm really excited. Hope your night is a blast. Stay out of trouble.

Also, did you love choose your own adventure books as a kid? I couldn't get enough of them. I just found a funny Halloween online version called "Would You Survive a Horror Movie." Awesome.

No comments: